Aphid mummy on ornamental pepper
Syrphid adult, aphid predator, visiting lantana
Parasitized greenhouse whitefly scale on Lantana
- Pests are rare, only concentrated on Guardian Plants which act as an early warning system.
- There is a steady supply of natural enemies that find and reduce pest hot spots before they flare up high enough to require pesticides.
- Greenhouses offer support for natural enemy reproduction and establishment in the greenhouse so that weekly purchases of fresh natural enemies are not required.
- Staff can easily evaluate whether the natural enemies have established in the greenhouse and are reproducing in high enough numbers to do their job.
Orius nymph – Evidence of Orius reproduction on marigold
Predatory mite that eats spider mites
Jumping spider on lantana
Michelle Ten Eyck – Guardian Plant Scout
- Labor involved in special watering & grooming.
- “Alternate” pests produced on Guardian Plants. Eggplants also harbor aphids, spider mites, & thrips. Marigolds harbor spider mites & whiteflies.